How do I reprogram my Nissan key fob in Glendale Heights IL?
It can be a real inconvenience to have to manually lock and unlock your car doors or trunk. In our busy, on-the-go lifestyles, we have grown accustom to technology making our lives quicker and easier. Something as simple as being able to open your tailgate or doors with the touch of a button on your vehicle’s door handle (so long as your key fob is in hand or somewhere on you) is just another little nuance Nissan has introduced to its vehicles.
Generally speaking, with a new Nissan vehicle, the key fob should already be programmed and ready to use, but in the event that you’re wondering, “How do I reprogram my Nissan key fob?” we would be happy to walk you through step-by-step.
Keep in mind that these instructions are for Nissan models with a keyed ignition. If you have push-button start, you will need an on-board diagnostics tool to reprogram your key fob. Schedule an appointment with us for visit your local dealership for assistance.
5 Steps to Program Nissan Key Fob
1. Open the door to your Nissan vehicle and sit down in the driver’s seat. Press the button on the driver’s side panel located near the window to lock all of the doors.
2. This next part might seem a bit silly, but insert and fully remove your key from the ignition six times within a matter of 10 seconds. (Timing does matter.)
—Don’t worry if you don’t get it to work on the first try; but to know that it was successful, the exterior lights of the vehicle will flash, as will the interior ones twice.
3. After you have successfully completed the second step, once again, place the key in the ignition, but this time you’ll be able to turn it to “Accessories Mode.”
4. Take your key fob and press any single button on it once. (Only press it once or else programming the fob won’t work correctly.)
—If done correctly, the hazard lights will flash once, letting you know that the fob is in the process of being programmed.
5. If everything has gone smoothly up until this point, remove the key from the ignition. Unlock the doors on the side panel and open the driver’s door. Shut the door, and test out your key fob.
In the event that it does not work, try repeating the steps, but if you still are having difficulty, please do not hesitate to get in touch with one of our Glendale Nissan service team members if you’re located in the Illinois area–they would be more than happy to assist you. For those out of state, we encourage you to contact your local Nissan dealership to better assist you.
Nissan at the 2018 Chicago Auto Show: